Right-click disabler

December 11, 2010

Improve English

English is still a language that some people have actually learned at school but just can't quite get the hang of it. Cos like learning BM, we have to read more, talk more and write more. But cos of BM is the language for the natives, so it doesn't matter as long as people can understand what you're saying.

On the other hand, people always say 'Talk in English even if the grammar is all over the place'. Now, that's the spirit but this will never improve your language skill. People often say this to be more confident even if they are not fluent in the language. However, people always say that when asked how to improve their English. Meh. Yes, it's alright if you've made some mistakes but you need to learn from them to improve, no? If you don't know what's wrong with your English, then how are you gonna improve it? Duhhh

I'm not ashamed to admit, whenever I feel like typing something in English but I'm not sure whether it's grammatically correct or not, I will check it using Word grammar check or even Google it. Watch a movie without a subtitle can also improve your English, in a way.

There's this one friend of mine. Long ago, her English was average. Realizing she needed to improve, she often asked me to check her grammar and vocabulary. After a while, I noticed she had improved her grammar but still struggled a lil bit with her vocab, but hey, there was still an improvement there. Quite impressive, I should say. Ever since then, I have always admired her eagerness (if only I'm like that)

I'm lucky to have parents who are fluent in English. They encouraged me to speak in English when it's possible, bought me storybooks, searched for good movies to watch, corrected my grammar and many more. Still, I didn't rest on my laurels. I searched on the net if I have doubts in my grammar. Even this post, I will read it two or three times so that I can detect any vocabulary or grammar mistake.

This post is not actually to brag my English cos hey, I'm still learning too you know. I get a little annoyed when I came across some people who know they're not good with the language but refuse to improve it. I mean, you read and listen to English everyday, how can you not improve it, even a slightest bit? Says a lot about their attitude really. Heh


No comments:

Post a Comment